Our ancestors decorated pottery with beautiful, rich colors that came directly from the earth. Yet today we rely on chemical colorants that come from a far-away factory. It is still possible to use earth pigments to produce stunning pottery in a range of earth colors. This online class teaches how to make and use colorful pottery paints and slips from natural minerals and plants. When you finish this class you will have the knowledge and skills to begin collecting natural earth pigments and making your own paints to decorate pottery in the way that the ancient potters of the American Southwest did centuries ago.
100% No Hassle Money-Back Guarantee
If within 14 days of purchase you don’t think this course is worth the money, just tell us and we will refund the full price, no questions asked, no problem!
Master new pottery skills with each lesson
Our lessons are set up in informative and easily understood segments which will allow you to master new techniques quickly.
Costs a fraction of an in-person pottery class or workshop
Most in-person classes cost hundreds of dollars but our video classes are just as educational and much more affordable.
Learn at a time and place convenient to you
Learn from home, while traveling, or anywhere else you have an internet connection and at any time of the day or night.
Watch videos of difficult techniques over again until you get it right
No more trying to remember what the instructor said or how they did a technique. Watch the video lessons over and over.
Personalized emails from the instructor will encourage you
You will receive encouraging emails from your instructor all through the class. Reply to these emails to get feedback and answers.
Learn the ancient art of pottery with convenient video lessons
If there is a better way to learn ancient pottery making techniques, we don’t know it. Learn from home in your underwear, does it get any easier than that?
In this course you will learn how to make and use the most common types of natural pottery paints and slips that were use in the American Southwest prehistorically. When you are done with this class you should be able to identify common mineral pigments, and prepare slip, yucca brushes, mineral and organic paints yourself.
- Learn what slips are and what they are used for
- Become familiar with different ways to prepare and apply slips to pottery
- Identify different pigment minerals and learn what colors they will fire to.
- Learn the best ways to prepare minerals for use as paint
- Familiarize yourself with the best recipes for making mineral paint and the required ingredients
- Learn what organic pottery paint is and how it works
- See how organic paint is made and explore the finer points of its application
- Become familiar with yucca leaf paintbrushes and how to make them yourself
- Explore ancient examples of painted pottery and how the different colors and designs were achieved
Upon completion of the Natural Pottery Paints, Slips and Pigments class you will be able to find and process natural pigment minerals into pottery paint no matter where you live on earth.