Our ancestors decorated pottery with beautiful, rich colors that came directly from the earth. Yet today we rely on chemical colorants that come from a far-away factory. It is still possible to use earth pigments to produce stunning pottery in a range of earth colors. This online class teaches how to make and use colorful pottery paints and slips from natural minerals and plants. When you finish this class you will have the knowledge and skills to begin collecting natural earth pigments and making your own paints to decorate pottery in the way that the ancient potters of the American Southwest did centuries ago.
In this course you will learn how to make and use the most common types of natural pottery paints and slips that were use in the American Southwest prehistorically. When you are done with this class you should be able to identify common mineral pigments, and prepare slip, yucca brushes, mineral and organic paints yourself.
- Learn what slips are and what they are used for
- Become familiar with different ways to prepare and apply slips to pottery
- Identify different pigment minerals and learn what colors they will fire to.
- Learn the best ways to prepare minerals for use as paint
- Familiarize yourself with the best recipes for making mineral paint and the required ingredients
- Learn what organic pottery paint is and how it works
- See how organic paint is made and explore the finer points of its application
- Become familiar with yucca leaf paintbrushes and how to make them yourself
- Explore ancient examples of painted pottery and how the different colors and designs were achieved
Upon completion of the Natural Pottery Paints, Slips and Pigments class you will be able to find and process natural pigment minerals into pottery paint no matter where you live on earth.